If anyone knows lipstick, it's Poppy King, queen of vibrant shades and full finishes. And since its inception in 2007, Lipstick Queen, her line of glosses, lipsticks, and lipliners, has been a success. So, who better to give tips, tricks, and quips on wearing lipstick — particularly in the red category — than King herself? The cosmetics guru recently spoke to the Independent, and here are some of my favorite takeaways:
- For a contemporary look: Wear bright lipstick with simple jewelry, subdued makeup, and loose, tousled hair. Think Chloë Sevigny, who, according to King, has the ability to rock lipstick with "strength and power, but not in a threatening '80s way."
- For all skin tones: Try Red Sinner ($20), which has the perfect balance of yellow and blue tones.
- Pucker up: In order to develop the "entry level of reds" you'll find in Medieval Lipstick ($20), King actually used a medieval technique to create the perfect shade. Back then, it was considered inappropriate for women to add color to their lips, so they used lemon juice to create the perfect rush-of-blood-to-the-lips pucker. That's exactly what King and a chemist did to create their desired shade.
- For a fresh look: Apply foundation to even out the skin. Next, apply mascara, a touch of liner or shadow, and some blush on the cheeks.
- Use the tube: The best way to apply lipstick? From the tube. After blotting and applying once more, add a little on your cheeks and blend to create a cohesive look.
- Can't pick?: If you're not sure which shade looks right on you, don't fear. "You can tell immediately if a lipstick suits you because it lights up your eyes, your hair, your skin," said King, "as if the sun has come out from behind a cloud."