Skip Nav
6 Ways You Can Get Your Coworkers to Like You
Christy Turlington
Christy Turlington Burns Is Here to Make Childbirth Safe For Every Mother, Everywhere
Power Your Happy Q & A
Lauren Bush Lauren Reminds Us Our "Perfect Plan" Can Change


DEARSUGAR and Pay Us Paige need your help. An employer is not permitted to withhold money from an employee, but if they get into a legal battle, they will wind up using the majority of the money on lawyer's fees. What advice can you give her and her husband so they can successfully receive the money that he's worked for?

Dear Sugar
I don't know what to do. My husband's brother's boss will not pay him for 150 hours that he's worked. He helped out on a construction site doing brick masonry work for three and a half weeks. He showed up on time everyday, he didn't ever get into any trouble and he always helped out when needed. He's a good man and this is really bringing him down.

We don't have a lot of extra money lying around and we were really counting on this check to pay our bills last month. It's been six weeks and still no check. Not only that, we've left a message each week with the boss's assistant and he hasn't called returned a single call. What can I do to collect the wages? Pay Us Paige

How to Become Financially Independent
What Is Wealthsplaining?
How to Stop Spending Money
Advice For the Holidays For Married Couples
From Our Partners
Latest Career & Finance
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds