Skip Nav
Job Search
9 Jobs For People Who Hate Small Talk
4 Lessons I Learned From Starting Over Professionally
8 Body Language Tips That Will Make You More Likeable

How to File a Tax Extension

Late Again? Here's How to Request a Tax Extension

The deadline for filing your 2015 tax return is fast approaching, and if you've been procrastinating, perhaps you might need to file an extension if you can't file all your paperwork by April 15.

Keep in mind that tax extensions only buy you time for filing your return, but they don't let you postpone the payment of taxes owed. So if you are filing for an extension but need to pay taxes, you need to have it paid by April 15 to avoid penalties.

Filing an extension will give you an extra six months to complete and file your tax return. And it's simple — all you need to do to extend the deadline to Oct. 15 is to file the paper form of Form 4868 or complete it through the online e-file system.

Image Source: Shutterstock
Around The Web
Join The Conversation
The High Cost of Long-Distance Relationships
How Attractive Woman Play Hard to Get
365-Day Happiness Challenge
Creative First Birthday Party Ideas
How to Live Like a Minimalist
Three-Year-Olds Are the Worst
Millionaire Wants Millennials to Stop Eating Avocado Toast
How to Get More Money Back From Your Tax Return
Newlywed Tax Tips
Things to Do With Your Tax Return
From Our Partners
Latest Career & Finance
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds