- Bread Pudding Ingredients:
- •2 cups whole milk
- •2 cups heavy cream
- •9 large egg yolks
- •3/4 cup light brown sugar
- •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- •1 teaspoon cinnamon
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1 loaf challa bread, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces (preferably stale*)
- •3 ½ cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- •3/4 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- •Caramel Dessert Sauce, recipe follows
- •vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- •½ cup butter
- •3/4 cup sugar
- •1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- •½ cup buttermilk
- •1 teaspoon baking soda
- •½ teaspoon cinnamon
- •1 teaspoon vanilla
- •pinch of salt
Bread Pudding Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
3. Add cubed bread, apples, and pecans to prepared baking dish; toss to combine. Pour custard over bread and apple pieces. Carefully toss to coat making sure that the cubed bread is submerged in the custard; let stand for 10-15 minutes allowing the bread to soak up the custard.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until the center has set; let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle caramel sauce over bread pudding. Serve with extra sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Caramel Sauce Directions:
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and buttermilk; bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook for 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat and slowly add baking soda (it will foam up), followed by the cinnamon and vanilla. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Breads, Desserts
- North American