Blake Lively tries out sexy menswear and a daring backless gown for the October issue of Marie Claire UK. The Gossip Girl dishes on her secret talents, her amazing experiences with Anna Wintour, and how she and Penn Badgley make it work. She plays a drug-addicted single mom in Ben Affleck's upcoming film The Town and tells the magazine she's ready to break out of Serena's shell and take her career in a new direction. Here are highlights:
- On whether she Googles herself: "No. Why? I mean, I'm with myself all of the time. Why would I want to see myself on the internet? I can look in the mirror. I think it's destructive."
- On her big-screen dreams: "I'm on a very commercial show so the last thing I want to do is a commercial movie. I wanna take risks, I don't wanna play it safe. I mean, I could probably make more money if I did more commercial projects. It would be nice to buy an apartment, but I'm 22 and I don't need to yet."
- On meeting fashion icons: "I was speaking with Anna Wintour. We were just talking about different fashion houses and I said, 'I love Chanel,' and she said, 'You should come with me to the show.' I also said I loved Dior. She said, 'OK, well, I'll take you to the Chanel and Dior shows and we'll meet with Karl and John [Galliano] afterwards.' So I went to dinner with Karl Lagerfeld and we got to spend a lot of priceless time together. Oh my gosh, riding around in Karl Lagerfeld's Rolls-Royce with the top down. Insane! It was like a fairy tale. Afterwards we went to dinner and we're climbing back inside his Rolls-Royce and someone said to me, 'See, you're so lucky, you get to see the real Paris with the real Parisians.' And I said, 'What part of this do you think is the real Paris and the real Parisians! This is fairy-tale Paris.' It's not everyday life."
To see what she has to say about Penn, cooking, and her style, just
- On how she and Penn make it work: "At the end of the day, you're just in any relationship. How does anybody go to work every day and come home? You just do it and it either works or it doesn't."
- On cooking: "That's my true talent, acting pays the bills."
- On her personal style: "I've always loved fashion . . . that's why I don't use a stylist. Number one, it's such an expression of self."