Sultry Katie Holmes Talks Suri's Shopping Style and the Complexity of Portraying Jackie O
Katie Holmes strikes a few flirtatious and sexy poses on the February cover of Elle. She's been ramping up for a busy 2011, which will include juggling her fashion line, traveling with Tom Cruise and their family, starring in two films, and portraying Jackie O in the History Channel's upcoming miniseries The Kennedys. Inside the magazine she shares what it's like to play the role of an American icon and how she prepared herself emotionally for the role. Of course, an interview with the actress wouldn't be complete without a few anecdotal stories about her fashionable daughter, Suri. Here's more:
- On working hard to perfect her portrayal of Jacqueline Kennedy: "I worked as hard as I could, because I loved her. On set there was this feeling that we had to create something very special, because these people were very special."
- On playing such a complex role: "[The Kennedys] were like movie stars. There was such a professionalism to their public image."
- On designing for her clothing line, Holmes & Yang: "I have such an appreciation for the fine details and the amount of work it takes. I really appreciate clothing and designers so much more. It's made shopping even better."
- On Suri's shopping style: "The other day we came out of a store, and she said, 'I want to go there,' pointing at another store quite a distance away. In that store was the dress that she wanted. I said, 'Wow, Suri. You're something. You picked that out from a football field away.'"
- On getting fashion advice from Suri: "She'll really tell me [what she thinks]. Like today I'm wearing brown suede pants, and she said, 'I don't like your pants.' But then she'll say, 'You've got to wear these shoes.' Or 'That's so pretty, Mom. Wear that.' She's got a great eye."