Selena Gomez Opens Up About Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and That Purity Ring
Selena Gomez is looking back before she moves forward. As she amps up for the release of her new album, Revival, on Oct. 9, Selena got personal in a new interview with the Sunday Times. The former Disney star's buzzed-about relationship with ex Justin Bieber, her lasting connection with Taylor Swift, and the origins of her purity ring were all fair game. Read on for some of Selena's best quotes from the interview.
- On how people are still invested in her relationship with Justin: "It's difficult for people to separate us. The Internet wants to freeze this moment in time and constantly repeat it."
- On the portrayal of their love story: "I didn't think I was doing anything bad by falling in love. There's such an emphasis on people being the perfect thing and then destroying them because it's good press."
- On how her age played a role in their split: "Throw in the fact that you are a teenager — it makes it more difficult."
- On how she started wearing her purity ring: "I said, 'Dad, I want a promise ring.' He went to the church and got it blessed. He actually used me as an example for other kids. I'm going to keep my promise to myself, to my family, and to God."
- On not wearing the purity ring anymore: "I'm not embarrassed to say that. I'm also not embarrassed to say that the ring has come off. I got it when I was 13 and I respect so much what it represented, but it isn't for everyone."
- On dealing with what people say about her: "Sometimes you have to lie to yourself to get through the criticism, and then you're in your closet crying. It's been like that for me a couple of times, but I only want to learn from those things."
- On her strong bond with Taylor Swift: "I can count on one hand the people I could call and who would be there for me. Taylor is one of the greatest people. When I split with my first boyfriend [Nick Jonas] and I was really sad about it, she flew into town with homemade cookies and a bunch of junk food."
- On looking forward to her next love: "The next relationship will be something dear to me. There is no way I will ever hide my life."