If You Somehow Aren't Obsessed With Tiffany Haddish Yet, These Facts Should Do the Trick
Tiffany Haddish first broke onto the scene thanks to her role in the raunchy comedy Girls Trip and she's just getting started. Not only is the 38-year-old incredibly funny and talented, but she's already made friends with Beyoncé and Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. And not only that, but she'll also be starring in Tyler Perry's upcoming film, The List. Here are five things to know about Tiffany.
- She's of Eritrean Jewish descent. Her father is from Eritrea, though she didn't meet him until she was an adult. During a radio appearance on The Breakfast Club in June 2017, she revealed that she found him through her ex-husband, who is a detective, and he was able to walk her down the aisle before he passed away.
- She had a hard time growing up. Tiffany's childhood was cut short at the age of 9 when her mom tragically passed away in a car accident. As a result, the actress lived in foster homes during her teenage years and was separated from her four siblings. "By the time I was 13 . . . we were split up and put in foster homes," she wrote in a piece for Origin magazine in 2013. They eventually reunited when they moved to live with their grandmother.
Tiffany was also known for misbehaving in class. "[My] social worker got tired of coming to my school and said, 'Tiffany, you have two choices this Summer: you can go to the Laugh Factory Comedy Camp or you can go to psychiatric therapy,'" she wrote. "I decided to go to comedy camp. The Laugh Factory gave me a voice and an outlet for my pain. I would not realize how much I needed comedy until many years later."
- She's single. While not much is known about her previous relationship, Tiffany was married for five years before she got divorced in 2013. "I gave everything I had. It just felt like I was back to that 9-year-old not being good enough, not being able to do enough," Tiffany previously said on The Breakfast Club. "I was not going to allow my dreams to shut down. I was not going to allow no man to shut down this dream I have because it keeps coming to me. God keeps telling me, 'You got to do this. You gotta share your story. You gotta spread this joy, you gotta spread love.'"
- There's a good chance you've seen her before. While Girls Trip might be her biggest project to date, Tiffany appeared in 2016's Keanu as Hi-C and has played Nekeisha on The Carmichael Show since 2015. She's also had smaller roles on shows like Real Housewives of Hollywood, The Game, and Secret Girlfriend.
- She took Will and Jada Pinkett Smith on a Groupon swamp tour. To make matters even better, Tiffany was high the entire time. During a stop on the Jimmy Kimmel Live, the actress talked about their amazing adventure, saying, "They loved it. They were so happy I brought them around regular people."
- She's only just getting started. Not only did she have her own stand-up comedy special, Tiffany Haddish: She Ready!, on Showtime, but she currently stars in Tracy Morgan's TBS comedy series, The Last O.G., and will appear in the upcoming Lego Movie 2.
Get up close and personal with Tiffany Haddish at POPSUGAR Play/Ground! On Sunday, June 10, she'll be taking the stage to talk about how she powered through struggles to become a success. Get your POPSUGAR Play/Ground tickets now.