Johnny Depp and Angelna Jolie shared the spotlight as the face of Entertainment Weekly's newest cover. They're promoting The Tourist for the magazine's holiday preview, and in the issue the A-listers discussed how they bonded on the set and why they had never met before. Their film, which is one of our Fall movie picks, opens on Dec. 10, but you can see their chemistry on display in the trailer. For now, read about what the stars have in common and why Jolie is a "cool broad."
- Johnny Depp on meeting Angelina for the first time: "So much has been written about Angie and Brad. They're sort of the Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton of our era. I knew she was a big star, but I didn't know what to expect . . . "
- Angelina Jolie on why they hadn't met before: "We're both not that social. I don't think either one of us goes out of our house, especially in France. We're both locked away."
- Jolie on why she chose the film: "I wanted to do something that would be a great vacation for my kids. I got a phone call saying, 'Okay, the film's shooting in Venice,' and I said, 'I don't know what it is, but I'm going to say yes.'"
- Jolie on exploring Depp's office: "As I was waiting, I noticed these beautiful pictures of his [girlfriend, actress Vanessa Paradis] and kids and all of his paintings. He's an artist, and you feel that in any space he's in. When he walked in, he was as interesting as I'd hoped he'd be."
- Depp on being nervous to meet Jolie: "Well, there is sort of that. Because on one level it's like, 'Here we go, kid. We're about to get into the ring together.' We sat there and babbled about our kids, and it was a huuuuuge relief. I was pleasantly surprised that she has an incredibly perverse sense of humor. She's a really cool broad."