Welcome back Buzz Book Club readers! I'm having so much fun breezing through Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. It's bringing up memories of my teen
years. . . and that's actually a good thing.
Here's a recap of how the Book Club goes if you're new: Every week I'll suggest chapters to complete by the next post (which, in this case, will go up every Friday in September). In these weekly Book Club posts, I'll posit a few questions to prompt discussion in the comments section.
Of course, you are always welcome to read beyond the weekly chapters, but please don't spoil anything in the comments! After the jump you'll find some questions that struck me as I read this section.
The next assignment: Read from the start of chapter 14 until the end of the book! We'll chat about the conclusion a week from today, Sept. 26.
To discuss this next section of Nick and Norah, in which we read from the start of chapter seven until the end of the chapter 13,
- I've been thinking a lot about Caroline. Have you ever had a friend like this? Have you been that friend? Would you have taken care of this friend so much, like Norah does, or do you think you might've tried some tougher love?
- I've also been thinking about how difficult teen love can really be. Norah's relationship with Tal and the insecurities it's left her with reminds me of how little you have to reference at that point in terms of what's normal (or healthy) relationship behavior. Do you think this book captures how vulnerable teens are in that respect?
- Does anyone else think it's hilarious that Jay Baruchel is playing Tal in the movie version of this book?
- Once Nick and Norah finally sit down over "drinks" to chat, I think it's hilarious how Norah thinks it's a disaster while Nick is psyched that it's going so well! Have you ever been in a situation like this? Do you think these kinds of misunderstandings happen often?
- We learn Tris is more than just an evil ex. Are you glad the authors made her more dimensional or was it more fun when she was the villain?