After last week's unexpectedly emotional results show, Casey Abrams will be back on the American Idol stage tomorrow night, thanks to a save from the judges. It's only the third time in Idol history that a contestant has been given a second chance, which got me thinking about the other guys (only men have earned the honor) who were thrown a lifesaver. Casey won't be going home with the crown if history repeats itself, but here are the stats on the former Idol contestants who were saved by the judges.
Matt Giraud, Season Eight
- When was he saved? Piano-playing Giraud made it to the top seven before America voted him off, but the judges gave him a second chance.
- How long did he last? Giraud was only able to hang on for one more round before exiting the competition as one of the top five (two idols were eliminated the week after he was saved).
- Who won his season? Kris Allen.
Michael Lynche, Season Nine
- When was he saved? Lynche was one of the top nine, but was nearly cut before the judges saved him.
- How long did he last? Lynche proved that the judges made a good decision and clung on for a few more weeks. He made it to the top four before he was finally cut.
- Who won his season? Lee DeWyze.