Everyone's reeling from Cristina's big decision to quit her job on this week's episode of Grey's Anatomy. Well, almost everyone. Cristina herself is too busy dancing around her unfurnished apartment, chopping off Callie's hair, and contemplating life as a "mall person" to have time to explain why she left Seattle Grace.
After a pretty tame season romance-wise (and that's saying a lot for this show), we finally get a few sparks! Jackson has eyes for Lexie, Teddy shares longing looks with an unexpected hospital visitor, and Alex and April get close. To chat about all the happenings (and how Alex screwed things up), just read more.
- While Teddy's in the midst of giving a patient presentation, her assembly turns into a grilling session about what she did to make Cristina quit. Derek is especially angry, putting the blame on Teddy for giving Cristina too much responsibility. The bickering continues throughout the episode, but eventually Meredith convinces the doctors to discuss it at Cristina's impromptu house warming party. Derek beats the rest of the gang to the punch though, and sympathizing with Yang from his own brush with unemployment, takes her to the roof where they only talk about home décor. Sooner or later Cristina is going to have to face the consequences, but for now, it's a refreshing change to see her have a sweet moment with Derek (since those are usually reserved for his wife).
- Let's rewind back to Cristina's party: since Callie's got some time off (not being in Africa and all), she decides to pay Yang a visit to make sure she's OK. Cristina, packing a new "I do what I want" attitude, takes Callie under her wing, convincing her to take a risk and chop off her hair. When Cristina's styling skills prove to be nonexistent, they head to the mall where Cristina contemplates her new life as a civilian and decides to throw a housewarming party. Meanwhile, Callie asks Mark if she can move in with him while her apartment is being subletted. It seems like an innocent request . . . until we saw the scenes from next week's episode.
- Ugh, Alex. After last week's episode, we all knew that April was developing a crush on Karev. I just didn't realize how soon it would come to fruition (and how quickly it would come to an end). April's psyched when she and Karev are assigned to work together in peds, since it means she can ogle him and shower him with compliments. They bond in the face of jerky Dr. Stark, who steals one of Karev's better ideas and passes it off as his own.
- When April promises tell the Chief the truth and tells Alex that he's great, he goes in for the kiss . . . and a whole lot more. Seriously, why do they immediately go from first kiss to sex? Couldn't they wait to go somewhere more private later? No matter though, because when April asks Karev to go slow for her first time, Alex explodes and says he can't be expected to hold April's "virgin hand." Ouch. No wonder she shows up to Cristina's party in tears, but Jackson is there to deck Alex. Twice.
- Speaking of Jackson, his actions aren't entirely chivalrous. Sure, he's defending the honor of his "one friend," but he's also releasing pent-up tension about his performance at work. He's convinced that none of the doctors want to work with him, and his paranoia comes to a head when one of Bailey's patients dies on his watch. Little does he know that Bailey is praising him back at the hospital while he's in the midst of punching Alex (and flirting with Lexie!).
- As Meredith patches Alex up, we learn that he's all messed up because he recently found out that his brother (remember him?) is a schizophrenic. OK, I get it, Alex has family issues and Izzie issues. That still doesn't really take away the sting of the way he lashes out at April.
Do you like the idea of Lexie with Jackson? Personally I'd rather see her back with Mark, leaving April free to date Jackson (she deserves better than Karev). Were you surprised by Karev's outburst? Let's chat in the comments, then hit the Grey's Anatomy McAddicts group for even more!