Allison Iraheta managed to hold down the fort for the ladies for a few weeks on American Idol, but this week, voters sent her home. It was a bit of a surprising elimination after her fairly strong showing on rock night, but on the phone with reporters today, the teenager with the fire-red hair didn't seem too bummed about being out. In the interview, she talked about being the little sister to the remaining contestants, revealed why she finally talked back to the judges, and even said she and Adam are planning to do their "Slow Ride" duet on this Summer's Idol tour. Here are highlights:
- On whether her elimination took her by surprise: "I've been in the bottom three so many times, and I was just really prepared for everything. When it was down to me and Danny I was like, 'Well, it's either him or me.'"
- On why she finally talked back to Simon: "Every week it was, I'm boring, I have no personality. I was like, 'OK, Simon.' I'm really not the kind of person who talks back, but just — on the show [on Tuesday], he's like, 'Start begging,' and I was like, 'You know what, that's it.' I really just felt it was the perfect time to stand up for myself, and I was like 'All right, I'm not who you say I am! I'm not boring. And you say I don't talk, so I might as well just talk.'"
- On her relationship with the older contestants in the house: "It was so fun. Say they were having just a little argument, and I'd be like 'Yeah!' and they'd be like, 'Boo! Stay out of this! You're only 12 years old!' . . . It was like a family. I really felt like all of their little sisters."
On getting eliminated in the same position as Chris Daughtry: "It made me feel better. He's done so much. He's done well, and it's really like, if he's done well and he didn't have to make it all the way to the top, it gives me a chance. I hope I do as well as he does."
To see how Allison responded to comments about her style and learn what was her favorite piece of feedback from the judges, just
- On getting so many comments about her style rather than her singing: "It sort of did [annoy me]. I was like, 'Come on, I'm singing here!' But I think overall, they all look for what you're going to do as a selling artist. I know there was a lot of risks I did in the dressing and all of that, but I had fun, so that's all that matters."
- On her favorite bit of feedback from the judges: "I really like the fact that they said that I was different. I really liked that because I stayed true to myself, and I reminded myself of that so much being here."
- On her farewell performance: "It was funny because I was crying, and I was singing a song called "Cry Baby." It felt so different — I was like, they're not going to judge me on this, so I'm just going to do whatever, and I'm going to give it my all. When I went up to the judges and I was singing to them, I felt really great about it."
Photos courtesy of Fox