The Sundance Film Festival kicks off this Thursday, and I'll be bundling up and heading to Park City for a few days of fun and films. I've already given you my list of must-see movies from the festival, but I also thought I'd share a few tips and tricks for those of you who are heading to Sundance too! From staying warm to keeping your eyes peeled, here are 10 tips for making the most of it in Park City.
- Choose functionality over fashion. The lines are long, and the temperatures are below freezing, so you'll be happy to have all those layers. Plus, even the beautiful celebrities aren't safe from the snow, so they'll be decked out in just as much Winter gear as you will be.
- Know thy neighbor. Whether you're grabbing a drink on Main Street or just waiting in line for a film, it's not a bad idea to chat up the person sitting next to you. Sundance films are all about hype, and you'll quickly learn which movies are the festival favorites from peers who have already seen 'em (plus, you can get a clue about which films might be duds).
- Snack early, snack often. It's hard to find time for a full-blown meal when you're constantly running from one place to the next, and you never know how long you could be waiting in line. Be sure to always have a few snacks handy to keep you sane (plus you can have something to munch on during the films).
- Carry a small camera with you. Not only are there celebrity sightings galore, but all that snow and mountains make for quite the scenic backdrop. Plus, you can hone your photography skills while you're waiting in line.
- Leave extra time for everything. From waiting for the shuttle to parking to screenings, the early bird always gets the worm at Sundance.
- Stay hydrated. The combination of dry air and altitude can take effect pretty quickly, and you want to be prepared for long days on your feet. You'll be glad to have a water bottle in your bag, but just be sure to use the restroom before screenings!
- Keep a schedule of the day's events on hand at all times. Since you never know when you're going to hit a snafu, it's good to always have a back-up plan so you don't waste time.
- Watch your alcohol intake. Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of partying opportunities to be had, but the altitude can go to your head pretty fast.
- Keep your ski days separate from your movie days. You'll just be stressed out if you try to go halfsies on hitting the mountain and hitting the theaters, so to get the most bang for your buck, you should block out each day devoted to one activity.
- Try not to rely on WiFi. There are certain places where you'll get an Internet connection, but most of the time it's spotty at best. If you're trying to meet up with someone, it's best to figure it out beforehand in case you can't get in touch.
More tips when you read more.
Most importantly, have fun! If you're going to be in Park City, be sure to follow me on Twitter for lots of updates on the most buzz-worthy films and celebrity sightings!