On this week's episode of The Vampire Diaries, we follow up last week's superhot, long-time-coming hookup of Elena and Damon with the fallout of the sire bond. It's not all bad news, though, and the little stroll down memory lane that we take into 1942 New Orleans for answers isn't so bad either. It's also fun to see guest star Arielle Kebbel back as Stefan's BFF Lexi.
While we're learning about the ups and downs of the vampire sire, we do get a little sweetness from the Damon and Elena coupling, and Tyler actually gets a nice little victory among the hybrids. But like my favorite new onscreen couple, it's time to get down and dirty and break down this week's episode — the good, the bad, and the bloody. Check it out after the jump.
- Damon and Elena's morning afterglow is both cute and sexy; these two are so hot together that I was giggly and blushing just watching them. It's such a treat to see Damon so in love and schmoopy that I didn't even mind when he delivers the cheesy line of "This is our time."
- The Damon and Elena afterglow doesn't last long, though, and even though a vampire-to-vampire sire is "one in a million," it appears that's exactly the case for him and Elena. When Stefan suggests a test for Damon to tell Elena to drink from a blood bag and see if it goes down smoothly, it proves the bond: Elena drinks and she's totally fine. Her giddiness over being a normal vampire is in sharp contrast to Damon's disappointment, but at least we know that he didn't do it on purpose! It was an accidental siring.
- Elena has to deal with her BFFs not liking her new boyfriend, and at a girl's night with Caroline and Bonnie, they get drunk and stoned on "spirit tea." Of course, Caroline can't help herself and starts talking crap about Damon and his "man-slut" ways. Ten big points for Elena, though, when she gets a good dig in at Caroline, reminding her that she was one of those "skanks" Damon lured into bed (man, I almost forgot about those days). Unfortunately, Caroline one-ups the insult when she spills the sire beans.
- OK, so let's address the good news about the sire bond. A) Tyler tells Elena that the bond affects how you act and not how you feel. B) The New Orleans witch says that a vampire only bonds to her sire if she has feelings for him before she turns. So clearly, what Damon and Elena have is real, but for all healthy-relationship purposes, they've got to break the sire bond.
- Speaking of sire bonds, there's discord among the ranks of the hybrids that Tyler and Hayley are helping break from Klaus. But Tyler mans up this week, becoming the alpha after hybrid-gone-bad Kim kidnaps Caroline to challenge him. He almost pulls out Kim's heart, and when she submits after he tells her to, the pack kneels before him. Well played, Tyler Lockwood.
- But the sire bond is unbreakable, right? Wrong. Damon flashes back to the '40s, when he experienced his first sire, Charlotte. He and Stefan go to see if they can find her in the present day, still sired, and like a crazy ex-girlfriend; she's exactly where Damon left her. (P.S. I'm going to start using the phrase "counting bricks" as my new breakup slang. "I told him to go count bricks.") When Stefan and Damon locate the daughter of the witch who helped Damon then, she says the spell was lost during Katrina (sweet reality check, Vampire Diaries.) And then we find out the only way to really break the sire bond is to tell your subject to live her life without you and to stop caring. It seems to work for Charlotte, but we'll have to wait and see what happens with Elena. I have to put this revelation in the good column, as much as the sire stuff irritates me, because Damon doesn't break up with Elena at the very end like he's supposed to. We leave them looking very much in love, but who knows what could happen next week.
- I still can't bring myself to care about Hayley. But for those who do, here's what happens: Hayley's deal with Shane is that she delivers 12 hybrids in exchange for information about her birth parents. When the 12 are good to go, she finds out she's been duped, because her parents are dead. However, Shane tells Hayley she might be able to see them again, even though they're dead. It sounds like that nasty "expression" business Bonnie says he's been teaching her, which the New Orleans witch decried as black magic.
- Damon and Elena's morning sex started to remind me of Bill and Sookie and their legendary blood-soaked sex sessions on True Blood. Elena rakes her fingernails down Damon's back and draws blood . . . lots of blood. Everything until that point is sexy, so I can't believe I'm saying this, but . . . try to restrain yourself, guys.
What did you think of this week's episode?