Skip Nav
Try Not to Lose Your Mind Over the New Justice League Trailer
New Stranger Things Season 2 Trailer Reveals a Major Character's Fate
Game of Thrones
These Are the Targaryens Every Game of Thrones Fan Needs to Know

What Do You Call Your Remote Control?

I've been giggling all morning over this story from The Guardian that rounds up several slang terms (both British and more universal) for the remote control. Personally, I go with good ol' "remote," but I always found it endearing when my grandma called it "the clicker" — and downright hilarious when I heard someone call it "the wand." Of all the options in the story, my favorite is the adorable term "the buttons," which I'd probably start using if my boyfriend wouldn't find it so weird. What do you call your remote?


Join The Conversation
ShePirate2010 ShePirate2010 9 years
i call it 'that frickin little tv thing on the couch there'
ElleJay ElleJay 9 years
We always used to call it the "Controler" when i was little
SapphireSky SapphireSky 9 years
We use "remote" however, my dad calls this and the garage opener "the box." As in, "give me the box." We've tried many ways to deprogram this but to no avail :)
radarkitty radarkitty 9 years
For me, remote. For the husband, not a nice word.
Jinx Jinx 9 years
Usually, The remote, but I have used clicker.
hoolywood hoolywood 9 years
zapper. hmn.
elizabelle elizabelle 9 years
when I was little I called it a "dit dot" and it stuck with my family. w/ others I try to call it the remote.
otaku otaku 9 years
...the button.
Renees3 Renees3 9 years
Clicker! But my old roomates daughter used to call it the "Kamoke" so I call it that sometimes too. I remember her searching in the couch for it singing Kamoke Kamoke Kamoke. She's a cool kid
supertramp supertramp 9 years
A dial, just kidding.
thelorax thelorax 9 years
r85 you're my hero!!!!! You are the only person I've ever encountered who, like me, calls it "the zapper". I never realized it was at all unusual until I left for college.
ur_momm ur_momm 9 years
controller.... my sister heard me and thought i was weird but i think its due to my bf and his ps3... (PS3 controller)
K-is-For-Kait K-is-For-Kait 9 years
The control! No remote involved! :)
Frank-y-Ava Frank-y-Ava 9 years
the remote always has been always will be!!
californiagirlx7 californiagirlx7 9 years
the remote, or the remote control. haha the wand?
Mädchen Mädchen 9 years
@tyffi: *lol* I'm thinking it might have been a He-Man reference ("Ich habe die Macht von Greyskull!"), but I'm really not sure. :)
r85 r85 9 years
I've always called it "the zapper", everyone in my house says it, so i don't think it's odd at all!
tyffi tyffi 9 years
I'm with Mädchen - I'm German, too - and when my brother and I have been kids and where allowed to watch TV we were always fighting about "die Macht" because the remote gives you the power. *g*
arianell arianell 9 years
I've always called it "the controls", which my boyfriend finds a bit odd.
Mädchen Mädchen 9 years
Me and my brother used to call it "die Macht" (I'm German), which means "the power" or "the force". :) Can't remember whether it was actually meant as a Star Wars reference... ;) Actually, we still call it that whenever we happen to watch TV together, it just doesn't happen that often nowadays.
Lynne Lynne 9 years
linb, I use 'thingy' every once in awhile when I can't think of what it's called. The hand gestures work great too!
MissKate919 MissKate919 9 years
We call it "the clicker" b/c that's what my dad has always said. But now my nephew started a new trend "the mote". :)
Shannon Purser at Stranger Things Comic-Con Panel 2017
Interview With Once Upon a Time Creators About Season 7
Once Upon a Time Season 7 Cast
Riverdale Season 2 Trailer
From Our Partners
Latest Entertainment
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds