I've been following along on BuzzSugar as they've been recounting some of the movie high points of the year, like the best funny actors and villains. But forgive me for a moment while I put my own negative spin on their series with my list of the worst films of 2010. While I haven't seen every terrible film to hit theaters, I have definitely witnessed more than one cinematic train wreck. If your own picks are missing from this group, my apologies — tell me what they are! And if you actually liked these movies? Well, try not to take it personally.
- Grown Ups: I hate to slap Adam Sandler and Co. with such negative criticism, but this film felt like one round of tired slapstick jokes after another. They were obviously trying to appeal to mass, family audiences, but they totally lost me in the process. I wish they didn't dumb themselves down so much.
- Jonah Hex: To put it simply, it was a total mess. I can suspend reality just fine (Josh Brolin as an outlaw who can talk to the dead? Okay . . . ), but once heavy rock tunes started in during the axe-swinging action scenes, I was done for.
- The Last Song: Oh, Miley. It's actually not her performance, but rather, the cliched script that makes this film so cringe-worthy. Nicholas Sparks tries to toy with the audience's emotions, and as a result, it comes across like a schlocky tearjerker. When a film relies on baby sea turtles for its "aww" moments, you know you're in trouble.
- When in Rome: I made the mistake of renting this one, because I wanted to see the Italian scenery — too bad it looks like it was all shot on a sound stage! I like Kristen Bell, but this film is a joke with its over-the-top secondary characters. In one particularly bad scene, magician Jon Heder pulls a bleeding, bloody heart out of his chest. WTF?!
- The Book of Eli: This film is just a little too slick for its own good. Though it's set in the post-apocalypse, it's more Hollywood than gritty, doomsday thriller. Even worse, it tries to hammer in a social message to give the story depth. The film wants to be taken seriously, but it just comes across ridiculous.
Check out the rest of lizlemonsaysblurg's picks, after the jump.
Share your list of the worst films in 2010! Paste them in the comments below, or join our Buzz Best of 2010 community group when you click here.