All the American Horror Story Seasons Are Connected, Ryan Murphy Confirms
We've been eating up every episode and detail about American Horror Story: Freak Show lately, and creator Ryan Murphy just revealed some major information. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Murphy confirmed that all the seasons are connected, as fans have been theorizing from the start. This week we found out that Lily Rabe would appear on this season as her character from Asylum, and we have a ton of questions about it. Murphy didn't specifically say how Sister Mary Eunice will tie into Freak Show, but he does drop a bombshell about the puzzle that is American Horror Story. Check out the most interesting quotes below, and take a look at the full interview to find out what's coming up next on Freak Show! (More flashbacks! Twisty and Edward Mordrake will be back! Matt Bomer's guest spot is going to be amazing!)
- On the clues in each season: "They're all connected. We're just beginning to tell you how they're connected. They're all very separate but there's clues every season that we're now telling you how the different worlds are intertwined."
- On "purposeful" connections: "Part of the fun of the show is the Rubik's cube design of it, but, yes, there are purposeful connections, character connections, and similarities and things that connect that we'll continue to connect moving forward."
- On Rabe returning to the show: "I don't want to say much about it but obviously she's playing Sister Mary Eunice. The interesting thing about doing a show like this is every season is incredibly its own story and its own beginning, middle and end. Its own journey. But we have always from the very beginning in the intertwining mythologies and how things connect. This is the first year where we begin to tell you that season two is connected to season four which is connected to season one. People have started to write articles about that. A lot of their hypotheses have been completely right on. That's the fun of the show. Hopefully by the end of the run, be it 10 years or 15 years, people will be able to stand back and be able to say, 'Oh that was connected to x.'"
- On Sister Mary and Pepper: "There's definitely a rhyme or a reason and a connectedness to all of these seasons, but in the same way, they're standalones, which is the fun of it. But it is a puzzle. And Lily coming back and dealing with Pepper is sort of the first unveiling of that connectedness. She's so great in that role, Lily. I understood she wanted to go off and do her own show. But I was thrilled she was able to come back and give us a couple days and show how Sister Mary Eunice and Pepper are connected and how it's all connected. I'm glad she's back in the habit!"
- On the top hat on Maggie's cup in the previous episode: "That is a big season five clue! It's an arcane clue, but it's very purposeful, and it illuminates something that you'll be like, 'Oh! You dirty bastard!'"