The Best Duo Halloween Costumes Based on Iconic Characters
What's better than dressing up in your own Halloween costume? Having someone else to match you, of course. While coordinating couples' costumes are popular for spooky season, we also love duo Halloween costumes for non-couple parties of two, and thanks to pop culture's biggest onscreen hits, there's plenty of inspiration out there for two-person costume ideas.
For Halloween this year, we have you and your best friend, sibling, or roommate covered with the best costumes that channel iconic duos from movies and TV shows. Maybe you're both obsessed with famous pairs from the '90s like Will Smith and Carlton Banks from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" or Cher and Dionne from "Clueless." Or perhaps you're fans of more recent onscreen besties like Anna and Maya from "Pen15" or Rue and Jules from "Euphoria." Whatever your preference, our collection of two-person Halloween costumes has something for everyone, and most options are easy to DIY at the last minute using items you may already have in your closet at home.
From a wide range of old-school movies to brand-new TV shows, these duo costumes are the perfect mix of pop culture hotshots and nostalgic favorites. Check out our 36 best ideas ahead, and if your friend crew has an additional person, our guide to costume ideas for groups of three may be more helpful.
— Additional reporting by Brea Cubit, Lauren Harano, and Victoria Messina
Duo Halloween Costume: Brennan and Dale From "Step Brothers"
Pay homage to Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly's characters from the 2008 comedy "Step Brothers" with this two-person Halloween costume. Make sure you tell all your fellow partygoers that you sleep in bunk beds because it offers more room for activities.
- What to wear for Brennan: Find an obscure pop culture t-shirt in a vintage shop. Grab some plaid shorts, and rub dirt all over yourself.
- What to wear for Dale: A homemade Spring Break '84 shirt and green shorts that are way too small for you. Get dirty and maybe even grab a shovel.
Duo Halloween Costume: Serena and Blair From "Gossip Girl"
This stylish duo costume idea is for all the Upper East Siders out there. Dress in your finest designer outfits — or thrift store dupes, for the more budget-friendly route — to mimic Serena and Blair's looks for Halloween.
- What to wear for Serena: White hat, costume jewelry, flowy pastel pants, and some designer shopping bags.
- What to wear for Blair: A cute but high-fashion dress, a Birkin, and some Chanel shopping bags. Don't forget the headband.
Duo Halloween Costume: Leonard and Sheldon From "The Big Bang Theory"
Calling all fans of "The Big Bang Theory." This easy two-person Halloween costume has your name written all over it.
- What to wear for Leonard: Black Converse sneakers, jeans, a graphic t-shirt, and a jacket with a hood. Don't forget your thick glasses.
- What to wear for Sheldon: Brown pants that are a little too short, and layer a long-sleeved t-shirt over a short-sleeved one with something geeky on it.
Duo Halloween Costume: Jane and Daria From "Daria"
Go the cartoon route with this duo costume idea inspired by Jane and Daria from the MTV animated series "Daria." These outfits are simple to DIY at the last minute.
- What to wear for Jane: A black bob, red jacket, black-and-white v-neck, and gray shorts with black leggings and combat boots.
- What to wear for Daria: Round glasses, a mustard-yellow shirt under a green jacket, and a pleated black skirt. Slip on combat boots laced all the way up.
Duo Halloween Costume: Wayne and Garth From "Wayne's World"
Bust out the wigs and "party on" this Halloween by dressing as the main characters of "Wayne's World." If executed correctly, this is a famous duo costume everyone will recognize.
- What to wear for Wayne: Black Converse sneakers, ripped jeans, a long brown wig, a black t-shirt, and a black "Wayne's World" hat.
- What to wear for Garth: Black Converse sneakers, washed-out jeans, a white band t-shirt under a blue plaid shirt with rolled-up sleeves, a shaggy blond wig, and black-rimmed glasses.
Duo Halloween Costume: Will and Carlton From "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
Throw it back to the '90s with your bestie this Halloween and be cousin duo Will and Carlton from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." Doing Carlton's iconic dance is a must.
- What to wear for Will: Either an oversize windbreaker and some baggy '90s jeans or a white button-up with a red blazer.
- What to wear for Carlton: Black pants, a dress shirt, and a classic tennis sweater.
Duo Halloween Costume: Zack and Slater From "Saved by the Bell"
Head to the thrift store and scope out '90s-inspired pieces to bring this duo costume idea to life. You'll probably have the catchy "Saved by the Bell" theme song stuck in your head all night long.
- What to wear for Zack: Two words: frosted tips. Once you've got those, throw in a pair of high-tops and a flashy t-shirt.
- What to wear for Slater: Acid-wash jeans and a muscle tank that shows off your arms.
Duo Halloween Costume: Romy and Michele From "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion"
This is the best duo costume for those who want to stand out at their Halloween party. Bring a stack of Post-it notes to really stay in character.
- What to wear for Michele: An iridescent pink dress with feather trim. Must accessorize with a high half-ponytail, pink wedges, a pink clutch, and a choker.
- What to wear for Romy: A shiny blue spandex minidress with silver heels.
Duo Halloween Costume: Kimmy and Titus From "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
This two-person Halloween costume is inspired by roommates Kimmy and Titus from the sitcom "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt." If you and your bestie don't necessarily care about matching outfits, this one's for you.
- What to wear for Kimmy: Pink jeans, a floral top, and a bright yellow sweater.
- What to wear for Titus: A cheap Iron Man costume.
Duo Halloween Costume: Walter and Jesse From "Breaking Bad"
This duo Halloween costume is made for best friends who just want to be comfy during their spooky festivities. Who wouldn't want to walk around in a yellow jumpsuit all night?
- What to wear for Walter: Glasses, a yellow hazmat suit, and a mask. Oh, and you'll have to shave your head and grow a goatee.
- What to wear for Jesse: The same as above, but less facial hair. Add some faux tattoos.
Duo Halloween Costume: Cameron and Ferris From "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
If "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is your comfort movie, pay tribute to best friends Cameron and Ferris with your duo costume this Halloween. Rolling up to the party in a red Ferrari isn't required, but would be instantly iconic.
- What to wear for Cameron: Throw on a red and white hockey shirt over loose khakis. Add black shoes, and you're set.
- What to wear for Ferris: Basic blue jeans and a white t-shirt are easy enough, but the leopard sweater vest is required.
Duo Halloween Costume: Elsa and Anna From "Frozen"
Dressing up as sisters Anna and Elsa from "Frozen" is a no-brainer for Disney fans. Bring along a tiny Olaf plush to really knock this duo costume out of the park.
- What to wear for Elsa: A sparkly blue dress and blond wig styled into a long braid.
- What to wear for Anna: A red wig with braided pigtails, plus a blue skirt, black vest, and pink cape.
Duo Halloween Costume: Ron and Harry From Harry Potter
No list of duo costume ideas is complete without our favorite Gryffindor besties, Harry and Ron. Their Hogwarts uniforms are pretty easy to re-create at the last minute.
- What to wear for Ron: Wear black pants and a cape over a white dress shirt, gray vest, and tie. Make a wand.
- What to wear for Harry: All the above, but add some round-framed glasses and draw the lightning-bolt scar on your forehead.
Duo Halloween Costume: Lloyd and Harry From "Dumb and Dumber"
On the hunt for a famous duo costume inspired by a hilarious movie? Show up to your Halloween party as Lloyd and Harry from "Dumb and Dumber."
- What to wear for Lloyd: An orange suit with a matching hat and ruffled dress shirt. Don't forget your cane.
- What to wear for Harry: The same as above, only in powder blue.
Duo Halloween Costume: Tweedledee and Tweedledum From "Alice in Wonderland"
This colorful duo costume idea is another classic option for Disney fans. It works best for identical twins but is also fine for friends who don't look alike.
- What to wear for both: Red pants, a yellow shirt, a blue bow tie, and a red hat with a green flag.
Duo Halloween Costume: Napoleon and Pedro From "Napoleon Dynamite"
If you still find yourself quoting "Napoleon Dynamite," this two-person Halloween costume is for you. Napoleon and Pedro's signature outfits can be re-created at home or with a trip to the thrift store.
- What to wear for Pedro: A pouffy brown wig, a light blue Western shirt — complete with a bolo tie — and blue jeans. A mustache is a necessity.
- What to wear for Napoleon: Boot-cut jeans, a "Vote For Pedro" shirt, glasses, and a blond curly wig.
Duo Halloween Costume: Bran and Hodor From "Game of Thrones"
Show your love for "Game of Thrones" with this duo Halloween costume. It's ridiculously easy to DIY outfits inspired by Bran and Hodor.
- What to wear for Bran: Brown clothing with a brown vest. Fur shoulder pads are optional.
- What to wear for Hodor: A gigantic brown robe.
Duo Halloween Costume: Woody and Buzz Lightyear From the Toy Story Movies
Name a more iconic duo costume than Woody and Buzz Lightyear — we'll wait. This one's a nostalgic choice for those who grew up watching the Toy Story movie franchise.
- What to wear for Woody: Cowboy boots, blue jeans, a big gold belt buckle, a yellow plaid shirt with a cow-print vest, and a cowboy hat. Don't forget your sheriff's badge.
- What to wear for Buzz: This is tricky. You might want to invest in a Buzz suit and wings from a costume store if you're not up for a DIY project.
Duo Halloween Costume: Hansel and Derek From "Zoolander"
Get your smize on and dress as rivals-turned-friends Hansel and Derek from "Zoolander" this Halloween. Definitely perfect your model walk if you go with this duo costume.
- What to wear for Hansel: Tight python pants with an open patterned shirt. Finish it off with a shaggy blond wig and fake tattoos on your chest.
- What to wear for Derek: Tight red leather pants and a red button-down. Gel your hair straight up.
Duo Halloween Costume: Abbi and Ilana From "Broad City"
Transport yourself to the Big Apple by dressing as best friend duo Abbi and Ilana from "Broad City." You can probably pull these Halloween costumes together using items you already have in your closet.
- What to wear for Abbi: Jeans, black sneakers, a polka-dot shirt, and a jacket. You can also go with a Soulstice uniform or her go-to blue bodycon dress.
- What to wear for Ilana: Go as crazy as possible. Layer short shorts over some patterned leggings and add anything and everything mesh.
Duo Halloween Costume: Piper and Alex From "Orange Is the New Black"
Here's another super-easy duo Halloween costume idea for anyone heading to a party at the last minute. Copying Alex and Piper's outfits from "Orange Is the New Black" is very doable.
- What to wear: Some simple prison scrubs will do for both. Your version of Alex will need those thick glasses and long black hair.
Duo Halloween Costume: Dionne and Cher From "Clueless"
"As if" things could possibly get more iconic than this duo Halloween costume idea. Break out the plaid and knee-high socks to be best friends Cher and Dionne from "Clueless."
- What to wear for Dionne: A black-and-white plaid blazer and miniskirt with a stylish hat will turn you into this '90s style queen. The nose ring is optional.
- What to wear for Cher: A yellow plaid two-piece blazer and miniskirt set, white knee-high socks, and black shoes are all you need.
Duo Halloween Costume: Jughead and Archie From "Riverdale"
Celebrate the final season of "Riverdale" by dressing as Jughead and Archie this Halloween. This is a duo costume idea any fan of the twisty-turny series will recognize right away.
- What to wear for Jughead: A leather jacket, dark hoodie, dark shirt, and jeans with a crown-shaped beanie.
- What to wear for Archie: A white shirt, jeans, and a varsity jacket. Make sure your hair is red or you'll be mistaken for any other Riverdale Bulldog.
Duo Halloween Costume: Player 218 and Player 456 From "Squid Game"
If you're counting down the days until season two of "Squid Game," dress as the final contestants from season one, Player 218 and Player 456. Anyone who's seen the Netflix show will instantly recognize those green tracksuits.
- What to wear for Player 218: A green sweatsuit with a number 218 patch.
- What to wear for Player 456: A green sweatsuit with a number 001 patch and a white t-shirt with the number 456 on it.
Duo Halloween Costume: Jules and Rue From "Euphoria"
Missing "Euphoria" Sundays on HBO? Same here, so why not make Rue and Jules your duo costume this Halloween?
- What to wear for Rue: An oversize cardigan or printed button-down shirt, shorts, and black Converse sneakers.
- What to wear for Jules: A pastel babydoll top with a pleated skirt and platform sneakers. Add some pink streaks to your hair.
Duo Halloween Costume: Trudy Smith and Cherokee Bill From "The Harder They Fall"
For a badass duo costume inspired by the Wild Wild West, Trudy Smith and Cherokee Bill from "The Harder They Fall" have you covered. Lots of leather and face coverings are a must to pull these off.
- What to wear for Trudy Smith: A black hat, black leather jacket with matching gloves, and red scarf that covers most of your face.
- What to wear for Cherokee Bill: A brown cowboy hat, black leather jacket with matching gloves, and black face mask.
Duo Halloween Costume: Molly and Issa From "Insecure"
Issa and Molly both have killer wardrobes in "Insecure," making them a stylish duo costume choice. No trip to the Halloween store is needed for this one — just comb through your own closet.
- What to wear for Issa: She typically rocks a casual look, so anything cute and comfy works. But Issa also knows how to show out, so feel free to take the sexy-chic route with a crop top and high-waisted shorts.
- What to wear for Molly: Whatever Molly wears, it's going to look like it came straight off the runway, so definitely dress to the nines in a high-fashion ensemble. Oh, and make sure you have a fabulous coat to match.
Duo Halloween Costume: Eric and Otis From "Sex Education"
Oh, how we love best friends Eric and Otis from "Sex Education." This duo Halloween costume idea is perfect for fans of the Netflix series.
- What to wear for Eric: A vibrant top and jacket with patterned trousers.
- What to wear for Otis: A striped shirt with a navy jacket or try something like his usual striped bomber jacket.
Duo Halloween Costume: Tia and Tamera From "Sister, Sister"
If you and your best friend want to match from head to toe on Halloween, pick Tia and Tamera for your duo costume. The twin sisters have plenty of cool outfits to choose from.
- What to wear for Tia: A blue long-sleeved shirt, denim vest, high-waisted shorts with a belt, and plaid leggings with a matching hat.
- What to wear for Tamera: Match with Tia!
Duo Halloween Costume: Anna and Maya From "Pen15"
This two-person costume idea gives you and your bestie a chance to show off your finest 2000s fashion. Act as awkward as possible to really emulate the characters at your Halloween party.
- What to wear for Anna: A button-up t-shirt, jeans or a long denim skirt, sneakers, and a backpack.
- What to wear for Maya: A simple t-shirt, capri pants, a backpack, and a bowl-cut wig.
Duo Halloween Costume: Joan and Toni From "Girlfriends"
Throw it back to the early 2000s with this iconic duo Halloween costume. Joan and Toni may have a messy friendship in "Girlfriends," but they always look fabulous.
- What to wear for Joan: If you want to channel the lawyer, keep things classy with a turtleneck, slicked-back ponytail, and dress pants.
- What to wear for Toni: You already know Toni Childs likes to be fierce and fabulous, so a mock-neck tank top, flare jeans, and heels is definitely the way to go.
Duo Halloween Costume: Khadijah and Synclaire From "Living Single"
For another '90s-themed option, look to Khadijah and Synclaire from "Living Single" for your duo Halloween costume inspiration. Fun patterns and bright colors are welcome.
- What to wear for Khadijah: A colorful '90s-inspired top, biker shorts, and long socks with sneakers.
- What to wear for Synclaire: A button-up tank top, long shorts, and a headband.
Duo Halloween Costume: Jen and Judy From "Dead to Me"
"Dead to Me" may be over, but our love for Jen and Judy lives on forever. Honor the iconic onscreen pair with your duo costume this year.
- What to wear for Jen: A sweater over a button-up shirt and jeans.
- What to wear for Judy: A bohemian floral dress with a belt.
Duo Halloween Costume: Carmy and Richie From "The Bear"
Carmy and Richie might not actually be cousins, but this pair of chefs would be a perfect Halloween costume.
- What to wear for Carmy: A white T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up with a blue apron. Bonus points if you add tattoos on your arms.
- What to wear for Richie: A navy "Beef" shirt with a white waist apron.
Duo Halloween Costume: Alexis and David From "Schitt's Creek"
This duo costume goes out to one of our favorite onscreen sibling pairs: David and Alexis Rose from "Schitt's Creek." Whoever's dressing as Alexis must say "Ew, David!" at least 10 times at the Halloween party.
- What to wear for Alexis: A breezy boho dress with heeled booties and lots of accessories. Or you can re-create the pink dress she wore for her "A Little Bit Alexis" performance.
- What to wear for David: A cool patterned sweater, jeans, and high-top sneakers.
Duo Halloween Costume: PJ and Josie From "Bottoms"
PJ (Rachel Sennott) and Josie (Ayo Edebiri), the two leads of 2023's "Bottoms," might be our favorite chaotic lesbian best friends. Get out some stage makeup to add fake cuts and bruises to go the extra mile here.
- What to wear for PJ: A red striped shirt with overalls and a big, frizzy ponytail.
- What to wear for Josie: A striped rugby shirt in blues and greens with baggy jeans.