The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a well-oiled machine, and it's back with a new super trailer for all of its upcoming films! One of the most exciting projects to kick off Phase Four is Chloé Zhao's The Eternals, which will drop on Nov. 5 and feature an extremely stacked cast featuring Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden. The titular characters are supposed to be some of the most powerful beings from Marvel comics, but what exactly are their powers? Here's your quick guide to the mysterious beings!
Let's first start with a primer on how the Eternals came to be. Millions of years ago, beings called the Celestials came to Earth and created not only humans but also a group called the Eternals, or Homo immortalis, a race of humanoids with beautiful features and cosmic powers. The latter gives them all general abilities such as levitation, telepathy, super strength, and more. They're also able to reshape the molecules of the world, which means they can restore their bodies even if hurt — this makes these superhuman beings extremely difficult to kill. That said, each Eternal does have enhanced unique abilities. Here's what you need to know about each and every one!
- Thena (Angelina Jolie): A second-generation Eternal in the comics, Thena is described as a fierce warrior with the ability to use her cosmic energy to form weaponry.
- Ajak (Salma Hayek): Ajak, originally a male character in the comics, can communicate with the Celestials in addition to wielding special healing powers.
- Ikaris (Richard Madden): Somewhat a Captain America type, Ikaris is the tactical leader of the Eternals who has enhanced strength and can project beams from his eyes.
- Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani): In the comics, Kingo is a skilled swordsman who resides in Japan. In the film adaptation, he's reimagined as a Bollywood star who loves fame and can release cosmic energy projectiles from his hands.
- Sprite (Lia McHugh): Appearing as a child, Sprite has complete power over molecular structure and focuses her energy on projecting illusions.
- Sersi (Gemma Chan): Sersi is the Eternal who feels deep empathy with humanity and uses her powers to manipulate matter. She works as a museum curator on Earth and has been in love with Ikaris for centuries.
- Makkari (Lauren Ridloff): The MCU's first deaf superhero, Makkari has super-fast speed — in fact, she's the fastest woman in the universe and among the Eternals!
- Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry): The first gay superhero in an MCU film, Phastos is a skilled inventor who uses his powers to advance humanity technologically. While wielding this talent, the Eternal prefers to work behind the scenes instead of showing off his strength.
- Gilgamesh (Don Lee): Gilgamesh is the strongest Eternal and has formed a bond with Thena after both of them were exiled from the other Eternals. Having developed a reputation for being a fierce warrior against the Deviants (the enemies of the Eternals), he can create a powerful exoskeleton of cosmic energy.
- Druig (Barry Keoghan): Druig is described as an aloof Eternal who's separated himself from the Eternals because he disagrees with how they interact with mankind. He has the unique power to control the minds of humans and specializes in manipulating reality.
That's a stacked deck — we'll be in for a treat once Phase Four of the MCU kicks off and we meet these powerful beings on the big screen!