Skip Nav
Sutton Foster Interview About Adoption and Motherhood
Sutton Foster
Sutton Foster's Empowering Adoption Story Proves That Becoming a Mom in Your 40s Is an Incredible Gift
What the IVF Sperm Donor Selection Process Is Really Like
Fertility
What It's Really Like to Pick Your Baby's Father Through a Donor Bank
How to Prepare For Motherhood When You've Lost Your Mother
Pregnancy
My Mom Died When I Was 6; Now My Stepmom Is Showing Me How to Love My Daughter
Transracial Adoption Experience
Personal Esssay
How Being a Transracial Adoptee Shaped — but Nearly Shattered — My Self-Identity
Choosing to Have a Baby With a Surrogate
Pregnancy
How I Came to the Difficult Decision to Have a Baby Through a Surrogate

Dad's Warning After His Daughter Almost Choked to Death

Dad's Warning After His Daughter Almost Choked to Death Needs to Reach All Parents

"As I sit here still shaking I'm posting this as a reminder to ALL parents of small children: please always read labels on the foods we feed them," writes Justin Morrice after saving his daughter, Annabelle, from choking to death. Morrice turned away from his daughter for 10 seconds as she snacked on Gerber Lil'Crunchies, and when he turned back he realized she was gasping for air.

She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out. I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back (as we were taught) for what seemed like forever. I still could not hear anything. I flipped her over and her lips had turned blue and she was still trying to cry. . . . It was at this moment I thought my little girl was going to die in my arms.

I panicked and did the only thing I could think of: I rammed my finger into her mouth and down her throat and was able to squish the cheesie enough that the next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world . . . her crying. I flipped her over again and slapped her back . . . it became dislodged and I was able to sweep it with my finger out of her mouth. It was the longest and scariest minute of my life.

Annabelle had eaten this snack days before, so Morrice was confused by the incident. Until his mom read the fine print.

"My mom found this 'warning' in tiny letters on the side to throw contents out after five days of breaking the seal," Morrice wrote. "I opened a new container and I could not believe the difference. The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. . . . The ones in the new can crumbled with ease."

ADVERTISEMENT

Morrice says he's not trying to degrade Gerber in any way but wants to remind parents to be diligent and always read all food labels.

Latest Family
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds