- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Carrots, thinly sliced coins
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspooons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 cups water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 bunch black kale, finely shredded
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering and hot, add the onion. Season with salt and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the carrots and celery, and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic, and sauté for 1 more minute. Add in the rinsed lentils, and cook for about 2 minutes, toasting in the oil. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, chipotle chili flakes, and turmeric, and continue to toast for another minute, or until fragrant. Add the water and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low heat, and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then, carefully stir in the sweet potato and kale. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy. Once cooked, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Soups/Stews, Stew
- North American