Makes 18 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
1¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1¼ cups sugar
2 large eggs
1¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
½ cup sifted cocoa powder
3 cups chocolate fudge
- For the strawberry buttercream frosting:
16 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup diced strawberries
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a cupcake pan with twelve paper baking cups, and a second pan with six baking cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Combine the vanilla and milk in a large liquid measuring cup.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one third of the milk mixture, beating slowly until well incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by another third of the milk mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, beating on low speed just until incorporated.
- Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, fill each baking cup so that it is two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using an apple corer, gently remove the center of each cupcake by pressing and twisting the apple corer into each cupcake.
- Heat fudge in a microwave for 2-3 minutes, and pour into a plastic squeeze bottle. Squeeze hot fudge into the center hole of each cupcake, until filled to the top.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, mix all the ingredients for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, until the frosting is light and airy.
- Transfer frosting into a plastic piping bag fitted with a round metal tip. Frost each cupcake with a swirl of frosting.
- Decorate the top of each cupcake with a swirl of fudge. Serve and enjoy!
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American