Our tasty Snack Attack series continues with celebrity chefs sharing their favorite after-school snacks that won't spoil kids' dinner appetites. Today's recipe comes from Nickelodeon's Jennette McCurdy and Birds Eye chef Michael Christiansen.
Best known for her role as Sam Puckett on Nickelodeon's iCarly and Sam & Cat, Jennette McCurdy recently partnered up with Birds Eye's Michael Christiansen to come up with a selection of delicious, veggie-packed recipe ideas that are perfect for after-school snacks.
The duo also offered us easy suggestions for encouraging healthy, adventuresome eating for the entire family. First, try switching things up. Instead of mom and dad doing all of the shopping and meal prep, let the kids guide your trip to the grocery store, and inspire what's for dinner (or, snack time!) Next up? Play with your veggies! Mohawk haircuts for your broccoli, anyone?! And finally, celebrate every bite. It can take kids up to 12 tries to embrace a new taste, so don't rule something out after just one or two nibbles.
Check out two of Jennette and Michael's creations for healthy, hearty after-school snacking!
- • 1 bag (12 oz) Birds Eye Steamfresh Sweet Peas, cooked according to package directions and cooled slightly
• 4 ounces 1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened
• 1/4 cup light sour cream
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 medium tomato, diced
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• Hot pepper sauce
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine cooked peas, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, and lime juice; mix until smooth.
2. Spoon into a bowl; stir in onion and tomato. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce and salt.
3. Cover and refrigerate dip for 2 hours before serving.
- Snacks, Kids
- North American
- 1 bag (12 oz.) Birds Eye Steamfresh Sweet Peas, cooked according to package directions
2 1/2 cups part skim ricotta cheese, divided
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup marinara sauce — low sugar, low sodium
8 ounces whole wheat rotelle or penne, cooked according to package directions
12 cupcake liners (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, egg, and marinara sauce in large bowl. Fold in prepared peas and pasta.
3. Generously fill pan with pasta mixture.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until almost heated through.
5. Meanwhile, combine remaining ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses. Evenly top each cupcake with mixture.
- Snacks, Kids
- 12 cupcakes
- Total Time
- 9 minutes, 59 seconds