Mimi’s Guacamole Tips: When shopping for avocados always choose ones that “give” just slightly. Only black Hass avocados will do, either smooth-skinned or pebbly. If all you can find are bright green Florida avocados, skip the guacamole and make stuffed mushrooms instead! If you must make a choice between buying over ripe or under ripe avocados, always choose over ripe. The under ripe ones have no taste. To ripen an avocado at home put it in a brown paper bag with a banana for one day.
- 3 medium, ripe Hass avocados
1 medium ripe tomato
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sour cream
Juice of one lime
- Optional: 2-3 dashes of hot sauce
- Peel and scoop avocados into a large bowl. Mash with a fork and immediately add lime juice. Keep one avocado pit, set aside for later.
- To the avocados add the tomato, onion, cilantro, sour cream, jalapeno and salt. Mix together and taste ingredients for saltiness. If it needs more salt add a dash or two and taste again.
- Serve with fresh tortilla chips. If you make the guacamole ahead, nestle the saved pit in the dip to prevent the avocado from turning black. Cover dip tightly with plastic and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- North American