The Fall ﬂavors of this delicious purée are ideal on their own, and also blend well with full-fat yogurt or a little baby rice. Choose plums of any color and size; in fact, the greater the variety, the higher the nutrient value of the purée. If you choose to include the cinnamon, this not only adds a warm rich ﬂavor, but it can encourage healthy digestion.
- Scant ¼ cup concentrated pure apple juice
2 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and diced
3 large plums, skinned, pitted, and chopped
Small pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
Few drops natural vanilla extract
1. Boil the pure apple juice for 3–5 minutes until reduced by half.
2. Place the pears, plums, and cinnamon in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cover and cook gently for 5-10 minutes until the juices run from the fruit.
3. Uncover and simmer for 10-20 minutes until the fruit is soft and the liquid has evaporated (the cooking time will depend on the ripeness of the fruit). Stir in the concentrated pure apple juice and the vanilla extract.
4. Mash or purée in a food processor, place in a bowl and use a hand blender, or rub through a strainer.
5. Freeze in individual portions. When required, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for 1-2 hours at room temperature.
Yields 3 servings. Suitable for babies 6 months and up.
- Side Dishes
- North American