- For the Skulls
For the Brownies
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla
- For the marshmallows skulls, use a knife trim a sliver from 2 sides of the bottom of each marshmallow at an angle for a tapered chin.
- Cut a slit above chin for a mouth.
- Using a toothpick, poke 2 holes halfway down each marshmallow for eyes and 1 in between for a nose.
- Pour sprinkles onto a plate. They will be different sizes; choose 1 small and 2 large for each. Insert small sprinkle for nose and larger sprinkles for eyes.
- For the brownies, Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl in the microwave. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl, then pour in chocolate mixture, whisking until combined well. Whisk in flour mixture, then stir in walnuts and transfer batter to muffin tin.
- Bake until top is shiny and set and sides have begun to pull away slightly (a wooden pick or skewer will not come out clean), about 20-25 minutes.
- When brownies are warm to the touch, remove from muffin tin and place marshmallow on top.
Makes 12 individual brownies.
- Desserts, Brownies
- North American