1 Mom Forgot Her Elf on the Shelf in the Oven, and We Can't Breathe From Laughing So Hard

Brittany Mease, a mom from Wylie, TX, admits that while her kiddos are totally obsessed with their Elf on the Shelf, Elfis, finding a new home for him every single day is definitely not on her list of favorite things to do. In a Facebook post, Brittany explained that despite her disdain for the family elf, she tried to make him a part of their Christmas season as much as possible. But unfortunately, her elvish duties got away from her this year, and full-on hilarity ensued when Elfis ended up getting a little crispy in the oven.

"Elfis, our elf that we've had for five years, arrived on December 1st with a broken leg. [I] blamed it on the kids for leaving their toys out, saying he tripped and broke his leg but Doc McStuffins fixed him up and put a cast on him," she wrote. And although Brittany isn't the first mama to have to remedy a broken leg on the family elf, she definitely used his injury in a creative way: to get out of having to move him every evening. "The note told the kids that he was on strict bed rest orders and couldn't move for 14 days. Mom win, right? I just got a free pass to not worry about moving that creepy guy for TWO WEEKS! Heck ya!"

That's a pretty brilliant idea, but kids are known for asking questions, and soon enough her cover was blown. The mom explains that all was well for more than two weeks, until her children starting wondering why he still hadn't moved, which is when all hell broke loose:

The other day the kids noticed that it had been longer than 14 days and he hadn't moved so when they weren't looking I grabbed him off the kitchen counter and quickly tossed him in the oven until I could move him later and not raise any suspicion. They have been waiting for him to come back for a couple days but life's been a little crazy with Gray being super sick and my life being a joke in general so . . . I forgot. I seriously forgot I put the freaking elf in the freaking oven.

It was the beginning of the end when her kids asked to have pasta for lunch one day. Brittany explained that in an effort to get her son, Gray, to eat something while he was sick, she decided to reheat the pasta in the oven. "I preheated the oven and started cleaning the kitchen. About four minutes later I started to smell something REALLY funky and that's when all hell broke loose and I broke my son's heart."

It was the odor of a charred Elfis meeting a fiery death.

After realizing her mistake, Brittany did what most mothers would do in the same situation: completely lose her sh*t. "I yelled 'F*CKKKKKKKKK!!!! THE ELF! THE F*CKING ELF IS IN THE OVEN' [My friend,] Brittany, rushed in to help me get him out and Gray came in the kitchen with excitement (literally the happiest I think I've seen him since he got out of the hospital) thinking our elf was back but his world fell apart as we were using kitchen utensils to get our burnt and melting elf out of the damn oven."

We're crying-laughing just thinking about it. And although her son Gray was clearly heartbroken over the accident, her daughter was pretty unfazed. She updated her post, saying, "Ily was 'glad the elf is gone because now he can't tell on her' — she's a savage child." Fair enough.

What's next on the to-do list for Brittany? Getting Elfis to the North Pole ASAP so he can recover and come back as good as new:

"Soooo . . . guess what I'm doing today? I'm having to scramble and find the other elf we have and then I have to call Santa (in front of the kids) and ask him if he will please pick Elfis up tonight," she wrote. "Ya know, since he is unable to make it to the North Pole to get fixed because his head literally popped off from being too hot once we pulled him out of the oven and his feet are completely melted off? Damn this Elf on the Shelf sh*t. Wish me luck. Let's see how I get myself outta this one."