Alessandro Dell'Acqua's No. 21 Fall 2012 collection is a revelation of utterly feminine detail crafted in the coolest way possible. It's not easy to carry off sequins nonchalantly, but Dell'Acqua's juxtaposition of the sparkle and rugged leather belts cinched at the waist is just an example of how the designer plays with extremities of luxury and, on the other hand, the ease of modern dressing. We get the decadence of lace and sexiness of sheer pared down as tweedy textures and sportier silhouettes are layered up underneath. There's a sense of wearability in everything, thanks to deconstruction — Dell'Acqua doesn't reveal head-to-toe sequins or head-to-toe sheer that's hard to pull off. The appeal comes from the mix and match, the texture play, the clever proportions that women want to wear now. Of course, in considering what women want to wear now, Dell'Acqua astutely includes a nod to menswear — bold-colored suits in simple silhouettes, outerwear that has that perfect masculine edge. Add to that the designer's newly launched footwear that debuted alongside the collection — ankle-strap platforms — and streamlined envelope clutches in hand, and this collection has cool-girl uniform written all over it.
- Trends: Menswear, lace, sequin embellishment, split hemlines, gloves, sheer, tweed.
- Colors: Black, white, red, nude, gray, blue-green.
- Key Piece: We love the cool-girl effect of lace, sequins, and sheer materials layered over more substance and anchored with wide leather belts.
- Accessories: Leather gloves, Dell'Acqua's platforms, jeweled charms hanging from the waist, slim, streamlined clutches.
- Who Would Wear It: It's the perfect mix of edgy and feminine that would make girls like Kate Bosworth, Rachel Bilson, and Zoe Saldana fans.