Balenciaga Fall 2012
Nicolas Ghesquière showed off a sporty Space Age collection for Balenciaga's Fall 2012 collection, comprised of baggy metallic pants, sheer dresses, and boxy structured coats. "We imagined this Balenciaga Inc. company [in the '80s] and then we started to identify the functions the staff have and the clothes they would wear — the space-age sweatshirt girls were the spies infiltrating the company," said Ghesquière. While some of '80s nuances were present, like the boxy jackets and printed sweatshirts, Ghesquière's expertise in tight tailoring took the collection to the future. Models strutted down the runway in an array of baggy metallic colorblock pants and structured leather-detailed coats complete which at times, was paired with notebooks to drive in the inspiration point. There were also an intriguing array of sheer dresses, for the work-to-party girl, decorated with animal prints and contrasting leather detailing. For accessories, Ghesquière footwear highlighted a mix of sharp cap-toe ankle boots and white strappy sandals, while bags showed boxy leather satchel bags with wide straps. More details from Balenciaga's futuristic collection below.
- Trends: Sporty, metallic colors, sheer dresses, boxy coats.
- Colors: Metallic gold and silver, cobalt, red, gray, camel, purple, pink, white, black.
- Key Piece: The sheer dresses were the perfect mix of sporty-cum-sleek.
- Accessories: Ankle boots, strappy pumps, short gloves, satchel bags, jeweled statement earrings.
- Who Would Wear It: Girls who crave a modern futuristic look like front row attendees Kristen Stewart and Clemence Poesy.