Balmain Spring 2012
From the looks of things, Olivier Rousteing knows exactly what Balmain is made of. For Spring 2012, the designer showed us what might happen if a Spanish dancer went west — a mix of long, duster-like leather skirts and denim button-ups paired with the label's signature embellishments on body-conscious minidresses, skirts, and slim pants and jackets. Gold embroidery and fringe on white pants, skirts, and boleros all hinted at beautifully ornate Spanish detailing; while leather pants, denim shirts and skirts, and laser-cut leather brought us back to the Old West. At the core, it's still what Balmain does best — standout, rich metallics, and beading on the slickest and sexiest silhouettes.
- Trends: leather, boleros, embellishment, fringe, embroidery, and high-waisted pants.
- Colors: black, white, gold, some florals and denim.
- Key Piece: the black embellished suit; the gold and white embellished mini and denim shirt.
- Accessories: embellished suede and cutout leather booties, gold cuffs, chain bracelets and belts, oversize gold belt buckles.
- Who Would Wear It: Cool-girl types with an eye for glam-rocker pieces; Zoe Saldana and Anna Dello Russo would rock the embellished minidresses.