Diesel Black Gold Spring 2013
Sophia Kokosalaki may have begun her creative process with a skate park in mind, but what emerged for Spring '13 was a contemporary riff, rife with polished leather and strong, architectural tops and jackets. She took the '90s angle only so far — even if there was a smoke-hazed half-pipe set on the runway. The clothing itself was crafted with a clean, black-and-white palette, and even Kokosalaki's references to graffiti art were more restrained, with just a few splashes of color and prints that were fun but never over-the-top. The real stars of this show were the jackets; they were a testament to the skilled tailoring: edgy and sharp; some worked in crisp, military cuts; and one worked in leather and sheer netting. Sure, it might take a more brazen dresser to reach for the see-through perforated skirts and dresses, but if you're looking to channel the urban cool here, then any of the moto-inspired outerwear or fringed heels will speak to that effect, too.
- Trends: Leather, perforated details, fringe, crop-tops, one-shoulder silhouettes.
- Colors: Black and white with just a splash of print.
- Key Piece: The short-sleeve leather pullover and printed asymmetrical skirt.
- Accessories: Fringed ankle-strap heels, slippers, and open-toe boots.
- Who Should Wear It: Gwen Stefani, Kristen Stewart, and Taylor Tomasi Hill all have the cool factor to pull this off.