2011 Fall Milan Fashion Week: Gucci
Hello, color! Frida Giannini kicked off Milan Fashion Week with a luxurious take on the '70s and delivered it in eye-popping technicolor. Teal, emerald green, sapphire blue, red, and chartreuse brought new life to furs, suede, and snakeskin. The ladylike silhouettes — skirtsuits, wide-leg trousers with sweaters, tie-neck blouses, halter dresses — were immensely wearable, yet the color combos, like olive green with cerulean blue and purple with teal, gave everything a cheeky sense of indulgence. The Gucci woman does not hide from color, even in a season that calls for blacks and grays. In a total repudiation of Fall and Winter's organic darkness, the finale dresses were frothy, sheer, and wrought with a dense floral applique that made models like Joan Smalls and Abbey Lee Kershaw look like they were in full springtime bloom. Magazines will have a field day shooting this collection.
- Trends: Jewel-toned color, fur, '70s, wide-leg trousers, sheer.
- Colors: Teal, cerulean blue, sapphire, emerald, magenta, garnet, pink, purple.
- Key Looks: Furs over tie-neck blouses, sweaters and skirts; the sheer gowns with applique.
- Accessories: Fedoras, snakeskin bags, platform sandals.
- Who Would Wear It: Sexy girls who live for luxury and aren't afraid to flaunt it.