2011 Fall New York Fashion Week: Prabal Gurung
Prabal’s show began with Karlie Kloss in a luscious, red, off-the-shoulder dress looking like she had stepped straight off the cover of a Harlequin romance novel, minus Fabio. In the background, a sultry version of Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" played, setting the stage for a super flirty, kitschy, and dramatic show that revolved around the theme of love. There were Victorian references in high-necked lace tops with fluttery bell sleeves, '80s moments with ombré furs and punked out hair, and just plain beauty with the lace details and empire-meets-peplum gowns. It was a plea for unadulterated romance, provocative and perhaps a bit naughty. The stylish crowd, among them J.Crew's Jenna Lyons, Garance Doré, Emmanuelle Alt and actress Jessica Chastain, seemed to love it, as they erupted in cheers at the finale, a rarity in fashion shows. For a look at the full runway show, visit FabSugarTV.
- Trends: Bandage details, lace, Victorian, '80s, backless coats, lace print.
- Colors: Red, ombré, pink.
- Key Looks: A lace-paneled coat, Karlie's red gown.
- Accessories: Nicholas Kirkwood for Prabal shoes, black leather gloves.
- Who Would Wear It: Ladies looking to make a flirty statement on the red carpet or at events.