2011 Fall Paris Fashion Week: Balenciaga
Each season, Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquiere is able to take a familiar silhouette, deconstruct it, and present something to us that is undeniably new and futuristic. For example: this floral dress layered with a sheer-paneled top and vest, seen left. The combination has been seen a hundred times, but Ghesquiere added a new twist to the concept via a slick lizard-and-flower-print skirt, a thick-braided leather vest (could be faux), and a sheer top. A little tough, a little structured, and a whole lot of cool. A sports theme ran through the show in the form of boxy tops covered in what looked like black soccer netting, and a neoprene-like fabric that gave pants an invincible look. Miranda Kerr returned, walking the runway in a calf-skimming skirt trimmed with a leather ruffle, and ageless beauty Stella Tennant showed that longer proportions will continue into Fall, wearing trim blue pants under a long white and black tunic dress. It was the sporty feminine modern woman, who by the way sported killer strappy stilettos.
- Trends: Futuristic, minimalism, longer proportions, florals, layering, sporty, colorblock.
- Colors: Black, white, caramel, plum, cobalt blue, garnet, hot pink.
- Key Looks: The floral pieces layered with sharp black vests and jackets.
- Accessories: Strappy stilettos, hand-clutch bags.
- Who Would Wear It: The cool girl who can work architectural silhouettes, like Jennifer Connelly.