Giorgio Armani Fall 2012
Giorgio Armani delivered the art of slick suiting and a master class in bold color for Fall 2012. We're not just mesmerized by the double and triple vision stunts Armani pulled on his catwalk — though the sight of two or three models in the same sharp suiting, brilliant fuchsia and orange, and slick fedoras really drives the point home. Still, even without the "special effects," the collection is built up in confidence. Strong shapes and new silhouettes — like a return to longer menswear-style shorts paired with vibrant ladylike jackets and bold color-infused woven knits — result in something all at once androgynous and insanely glam. That's largely due to the fact that these Fall looks are saturated in hot pinks, purples, and orange; the palette is drama-inducing in itself — but add to that the luxuriousness of fur, crystal embellishment, and vibrant abstract print, and the resulting styles start to run into diva territory. There are few people, save for Anna Dello Russo or Lady Gaga, who could pull off a cotton-candy-feeling fur coat — fortunately the collection is also much more wearable than that. Gray suiting adorned with rosettes and finished with oxfords has a snappier feel than the lavishness of his color-saturated fur, and that's the bread and butter here: sportier evening themes and rich color play.
- Trends: Colored fur, slick fedoras, colorblocking, menswear, shorts cropped just above the knee, gloves, textured woven knits, abstract print, and sequins.
- Colors: Red, black, hot pink, orange, purple, and gray.
- Key Piece: The sequined coat has just the right slinky, sexy quality to it; we're taken with Armani's colorblocked hot-pink oxfords.
- Accessories: Cutout gloves, wide-brim fedoras, layered statement necklaces, colored oxford kicks, slick clutches.
- Who Would Wear It: The risk-taker with an eye for sharp silhouettes and statement color; Anna Dello Russo could rock the hot-pink fur — but she may just be about the only one who can.