>> Forbes just released their yearly list of top-earning models, and the top five is exactly the same for the second year in a row: Gisele Bundchen holds the top spot — which she's had for at least five years now — followed by Heidi Klum, Kate Moss, Adriana Lima, and Doutzen Kroes, respectively.
Emanuela de Paula is the only newcomer this year — which could be partially because the list was knocked down from the usual 15 models to only 11 this year — while a number of models disappeared from the rankings: Karolina Kurkova (who was ranked 6th last year at $5 million), Isabeli Fontana (11th last year at $3m) Gemma Ward (tied at 11th with Isabeli at $3m), Selita Ebanks (12th at $2.7m), Valentina Zelyaeva (13th at $2.3m), Hilary Rhoda (14th at $2m), and Liya Kebede (15th at $1.5m). Alessandra Ambrosio made a return to the list this year in 6th place, after dropping off last year.
So how is everyone holding up in the recession? Gisele Bundchen posted the biggest loss, earning $10 million less in the June 2008-June 2009 period; Miranda Kerr and Carolyn Murphy are also earning less, but their losses are not as substantial. Doutzen Kroes is raking in the same amount, while Kate Moss, Adriana Lima, Natalia Vodianova, Daria Werbowy, and Heidi Klum are all estimated to be increasing their income compared to this time last year.
The full 2009 list »
The full 2009 list, with last year's rank and estimated 2008 earnings in parentheses:
- Gisele Bundchen, $25m (1 — $35m)
- Heidi Klum, $16m (2 — $14m)
- Kate Moss, $8.5m (3 — $7.5m)
- Adriana Lima, $8m (4 — $7m)
- Doutzen Kroes, $6m (5 — $6m)
- Alessandra Ambrosio, $6m (not on list last year)
- Natalia Vodianova, $5.5m (7 — $4.8m)
- Daria Werbowy, $4.5m (9 — $3.8m)(Carolyn Murphy $4.5m)
- Miranda Kerr, $3m (10 — $3.5)
- Carolyn Murphy, $3m (8 — $4.5m)
- Emanuela de Paula $2.5 m (new)