Gucci Spring 2012
Glamour, Milanese style: Gucci kicked off Milan Fashion Week with a show that was heavy on metallics and fringe. The 20s theme we saw in New York — literal Gatsby references at Ralph Lauren, theatrical and abstract at Marc Jacobs — got its sleekest turn yet with Frida Giannini's take on the Art Deco architecture, shown via boxy, tailored jackets, drop-waist dresses decorated with red-carpet ready fringe, and colorblocked prints. It happens to be the luxury house's 90th birthday this year; it was started in the 1920s, coincidentally, so this collection pays homage to the period in a very modern way.
- Trends: 20s, drop-waist dresses, fringe, colorblocking, split-bottom pants.
- Colors: gold, ivory, black, emerald, camel.
- Key Piece: the sequin colorblocked drop-waist dresses with fringe will rock on the red carpet.
- Accessories: peep-toe ankle strap stilettos, python bags, one in an emerald green.
- Who Would Wear It: we'll see the dresses on retro-glam girls like Kirsten Dunst and Nicole Richie; the more tailored pieces would be great on fashion-forward sophisticates like Julia Restoin-Roitfeld or even her mom, Carine.