John Galliano Spring 2013
Bill Gaytten did not hold back on the drama factor for John Galliano's Spring '13 collection. Gone were the overembellishments we're used to seeing from Gaytten’s predecessor, and instead, the designer gave the collection a different kind of theatricality. It was all about structure and volume as the models marched down the runway decked in huge tulle Stephen Jones hats and equally oversize trousers, printed gowns, and billowy tops. Most looks were dipped in hues of salmon pink, lilac, black, and white, but there was also the occasional pop of prints — highlighting an image of a man soaring across the sky — splashed on voluminous skirts and gowns. Details showed a Japanese influence via intricate pleating and folding technique. While it's hard to picture most of this collection worn on the street, we can easily imagine Hollywood stunners like Cate Blanchett and Julianne Moore working these dramatic silhouettes on the red carpet.
- Trends: Japanese influence, volume, long, oversize shorts.
- Colors: Black, blue, lilac, salmon pink, white, citron, navy.
- Key Piece: The lilac draped dress showed perfect restraint and drama.
- Accessories: Statement hats by Stephen Jones, leather ankle boots, patent pumps, ankle-strap pumps
- Who Should Wear It: We can see Gaytten's artistic creations on the more daring type like Rihanna and Lady Gaga and classic red carpet types like Blanchett and Moore.