We are thrilled to share this story from Lauren Conrad! The TV personality, writer, designer, and style maven has started LaurenConrad.com, a social networking site that features daily posts by Lauren on all of our favorite topics — fashion, beauty, food, party planning — and Lauren will be sharing her latest fashion finds with Fab every month. This week, she's sharing her Summer work wardrobe shopping picks.
During the hot and sticky summer months, layering is key when it comes to office attire. While the idea of buying an entirely new wardrobe is tempting, there’s no need to splurge. To be honest, there are only a few basic pieces you actually need to give your wardrobe an updated, summery feel without resorting to crop tops and cutoffs and maxing out your credit card.
Without further ado, here are my five summer must-haves for all you working (or interning) ladies out there:
TopShop Peplum Top, Anthropologie Petunia Crops, J.Crew No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Neon Tweed, LC Lauren Conrad Bow Sandals, J.Crew Jackie Cardigan
- Put some pep in your step. Add a trendy staple such as a peplum top to your repertoire. Wear it with a swingy skirt, straight legs or even cropped pants for a playful yet professional look.
- Crop and print. Combine two of the summer’s hottest trends by snagging a pair of printed, cropped trousers. Pair them with pointed pumps for the ultimate summery-chic update to your 9 to 5 uniform.
- Sharpen your pencil (skirt). Turn this traditional office garb on its head by opting for its colorful counterpart. I especially love the neon coral tweed version included in the collage above; wear it with a simple striped top and dainty heels for an HR-approved summer ensemble.
- Refresh your bottom line. Invest is a fun pair of flats, peep-toes, or nice sandals. Heavy boots and darker hued shoes should be stowed away for colder seasons. Summer is the prime time to let that pedi shine, ladies!
- Keep it under wraps. While it may be blisteringly hot outside, usually offices are just the opposite inside—freezing. By having a light cardigan around, such as a knit pastel cardi like the once included above, you can easily layer it over your summery outfit for both warmth and added modesty.
Read on for the rest of Lauren Conrad's Summer office attire tips.
If these five picks aren’t for you, just make sure whatever you do end up buying fits the following criteria: It’s modest, it’s bright, it can be layered under a sweater or blazer.
For more tips on dressing appropriately in the workplace, be sure to check out my blogs about casual work attire, formal or professional wear, and business casual dress codes.
What’s on your summer shopping list?