There's a perfect nonchalance and a decidedly sporty edge to Sonia Rykiel's Fall 2012. April Crichton's collection is an artful balance of menswear and feminine dressing — we're treated to both strong suiting that takes shape in double-breasted coats and boxier silhouettes before the looks soften into more femme territory. That's femme without the frills — even ruching or sheer fabrications appear easy, never overworked. Dresses skim curves, but don't hug — it's knitwear that gets the sexiest finish on pencil skirts and slim sweaters with a sweatband-style headband that calls to mind more literal definitions of sportswear.
- Trends: Menswear, pastels, knitwear, sheer.
- Colors: Black, peach, red, teal, white, nude.
- Key Look: The soft printed and ruched dresses are a pretty departure from the sharp suits; we're taken with Rykiel's sexier knitwear.
- Accessories: Ankle-strap platforms, boots, and ankle-crop booties finished in slick black patent; sporty headbands.
- Who Would Wear It: Girls who don't try too hard, like Kate Bosworth and Rachel Bilson; Kirsten Dunst would be a perfect fit for any of the line's pretty frocks.