Viktor & Rolf Spring 2013
From the black-and-white Viktor & Rolf Spring '13 checkerboard catwalk, out stepped a plethora of stunning looks, drenched in pleated metallics, stark white contrasts, and shards of mosaic glass. Without a doubt, Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren tapped into every girl's fashion fantasyland, even going so far as to literally include the "looking glass mirror" as the official runway entrance. The collection tied together references to an ethereal Rapunzel-like character and unadulterated Hollywood glamour, then contrasted its soft, dreamy edge with sharp lines, graphic shapes, and a monochromatic palette. It was an even-keeled blend of the ultrafeminine (trousers and blouses with bows nestled in the shoulders and at the waist; semisheer maxi skirts; mirror "embroidery" of roses and bows) vs. the tougher pantsuits and chunky fur-laden outerwear. Pretty enough for the romantics, but never ever deviating from the tried-and-true Viktor & Rolf fashion formula: a sophisticated turn of smart, witty pieces.
- Trends: Tulle overlays, accordion pleats, mirror embroidery, cropped outerwear, maxi skirt silhouettes.
- Colors: Black, white, soft pink, peach, lavender, and pops of metallic silver and metallic purple.
- Key Piece: It's a tie for most eye-catching use of silver. We're most partial to the metallic silver-pleated gowns and the mirror-embroidered white maxi skirts.
- Accessories: Black T-strap sandals, silver T-strap sandals and pumps.
- Who Should Wear It: Katy Perry for the bolder mirror-laden gowns and Eva Mendes for those gorgeous pleated siren gowns.