To get people excited over the November release of Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2011 ($39), the trainer is giving fans a preview of her top 10 fitness tips from the game.
If you're not familiar with the Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum series, the game allows players to track fitness goals and progress, while also providing some kick-ass custom workouts. I definitely had a lot of fun playing it, but I think I love Jillian's DVD workouts more. An animated version of Jillian doesn't do it for me!
Check out Jillian's tips:
- Exercise does more than just tone your body, it boosts self-esteem, improves mood and revs up metabolism. So suck it up and get moving!
- If you are looking to shed those last stubborn pounds, you need to increase the intensity of your workouts. Try working at 85 percent of your maximum heart rate (MHR) for optimal results.
- Getting bored with that same old exercise routine? Chances are you body is too. It’s probably time to switch things up if you want to continue seeing results.
Keep reading for seven more tips from Jillian.
- Using proper form when working out is the key to getting the results you want and preventing injuries. Think quality over quantity. Take the time to perfect your form in order to get the results you want and keep your body healthy and strong.
- Do not exercise on an empty stomach. This way you’ll have energy during your workouts and will burn fat instead of muscle.
- Don’t over do it. When starting out consult your physician. Work to beginner/intermediate levels. Stay at around 70 percent of your MHR. In a couple of weeks or so as you become stronger and more fit, begin to up your intensity for best results.
- For fast results, try circuit training. This is an exercise technique that utilizes a series of moves in swift succession with no rest in between. For example: push-ups into squats followed by jumping jacks. This method allows your workouts to strengthen while burning fat at the same time.
- To ramp up your fitness regimen try incorporating high intensity interval training. This simply means working short bouts (30 seconds, 60 seconds, 90 seconds, two minutes) of cardio into your strength training routine.
- Six pack abs are not about crunches. You cannot spot reduce fat. The best way to get the washboard tummy is by burning the fat off on top of the muscle with a combination of diet, cardio, and over all resistance training.
- When you are on the treadmill don’t hold on. If you hold on while walking or jogging, it decreases the intensity, which decreases your calorie burn by up to 24 percent.