FitSugar reader Berry Happy Bodies recently shared this recipe for a five-layer Mexican polenta, which can double as a dip or full-on meal, in our Healthy Recipe group.
A healthy meal or dip!
Read on for the recipe.
- 1 16-ounce tube of polenta, cut into slices
- 30 ounces of black beans (prewashed and cooked or canned)
- 10 ounces of whole-kernel corn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, chopped (your favorite — I used red and yellow)
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces of salsa (I used Trader Joe’s Pico de Gallo)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Trader Joe’s Lite Mexican Blend)
- 4 ounces black olives, chopped
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves minced (I, of course, used 4)
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1/2 Tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil or spray a nine-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onions are soft and translucent. Then stir in the honey, chilies, and spices. Turn the heat off. Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Cover the baking dish with sliced polenta (this is not perfect; it's the whole circle-in-a-square-peg deal). Layer the beans and corn evenly over the polenta, then spread the onion mixture over the beans and corn.
- For the next layer, spread the salsa over the top. Then sprinkle the shredded cheese mixture over the top. Add the olives evenly.
- Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Main Dishes
Visit Berry Happy Bodies for more and don't forget to share your own recipes in our Healthy Recipe group!