Busy days, hectic schedules, and long hours at the office have us trying to fit in as much productivity during the workday as possible. Naturally, scarfing down lunch while you work is an easy solution, but it may not be the best idea for your sanity, productivity, or health. Below, five reasons it's a good idea to eat lunch anywhere but your desk.
- Your desk isn't the cleanest place to eat. On average, your mouse carries 846 germs per square inch, while your keyboard contains 719. Ew.
- You could use the time to take a walk. Americans walk less than people in most other countries. Walking carries a host of health benefits — but you have to take at least 5,000 steps each day to enjoy them!
- You'll miss out on social time. Even if it's just sitting at a table in a different part of the office, take some time away from your computer screen and in front of co-workers. This face time will not only be a nice break from a monotonous day, it will also help you bond with co-workers.
- You may end up eating more. Just like eating in front of the TV, eating at your computer can encourage mindless snacking or overeating.
- Your brain could benefit from a mini-break. Taking just a 15 minute break during the course of your day can clear your mind — even just for a little while — and help you think clearly up your productivity for the rest of the day.
Tell me, where will you be eating your lunch today?