There's nothing wrong with knocking back a few cocktails at your Memorial Day festivities, but don't let those empty calories destroy your efforts to eat healthy. Here are five smart solutions for cutting down on cocktail calories.
- Dilute your juice. If you like fruit juice-based cocktails, such as screwdrivers or vodka and cranberry, cut down on the juice and add calorie-free sparkling water instead.
- Use low-calorie mixers. Even tonic water is surprisingly high in calories, so opt for diet tonic and sodas. For margaritas and other summery drinks, check out the sugar-free options from Baja Bob.
To see the rest of my tips,
- Or, ditch the mixers entirely. Classic martinis, manhattans, and other mixerless drinks are much lower in sugar than juice-based beverages. Plus, they're strong, so you will drink them slowly, unlike those sugar drinks that go down too easily!
- Cut out the cream. If you're drinking something like a White Russian that calls for heavy cream, sub in two percent milk or fat-free half and half.
- Seek out low-cal recipes. There are plenty of mixologists out there who've come up with healthier versions of high-calorie cocktails, such as these from Hungry Girl and Drink of the Week.
Do you have tips for watching calories in cocktails? Share them in the comments below!