You're running full speed ahead and suddenly you get an excruciating pain in your side: the dreaded side stitch. Nothing kills a good workout like getting cramps and luckily there are a few things you can do to keep them at bay. Here are five easy to follow tips:
- Try to avoid eating one to two hours before a workout. If you must eat then avoid fatty foods and proteins and stick to carbohydrates.
- Hydrate before and during exercise; contrary to popular belief, dehydration can increase muscle cramps.
- Focus on your breathing. Take a few deep breaths every once in a while to stretch your diaphragm as well as to ensure that all parts of your body are receiving the amount of oxygen they need to keep going.
- Once you first experience cramping slow down your pace until the pain subsides.
- Massaging or pressing on the area and bending over can help reduce the pain.
Do you have a no-fail remedy for side stitches? Share them below.