Most of us covered in cold and snow are forced to move our runs inside. If you don't have access to an indoor track, then a treadmill is the next best thing. While I'm grateful that this machine allows me to keep up with my runs, the repetition of staying in one spot can be beyond boring. Here are some things to help make your treadmill time more enjoyable.
- Entertain yourself with a book on tape. You can download one to your iPod or MP3 player and it will make 30 minutes just fly by.
- Watch a movie. If you have a treadmill at home, watch rented movies from Netflix on your own TV. If not, you can buy a sturdy plastic rack that fits over the front of the machine. Then place your portable DVD player or laptop on it. Movies are a great way to pass the time if you're working on longer distances, because there are no boring commercials.
To see the other four ideas,
- Do interval training. Watching the clock so you can alternative between a few minutes of jogging and a few minutes of sprinting will definitely keep your mind and muscles busy. Here's a treadmill interval workout for you to try.
- Have at least 10 playlists on your iPod so every time you hop on the treadmill, new tunes will inspire you to move. Or you can swap iPods with a fitness buddy.
- Run next to a friend so you can chat and push each other to keep going.
- Use the treadmill differently. If you're used to jogging, put the incline all the way up and walk instead. Or try walking backward, sideways, or walking lunges. Not only will it be more exciting, but you'll use different muscles, too.