When Autumn breezes bring in the vibrant pomegranate, it is easy to forget its more familiar Fall counterpart, the apple. In abundance at the supermarket all year round (but truly in season later Summer through Fall), the apple's health benefits are easily overlooked. Weight loss, heart health, and metabolic syndrome are just a few issues that apples have the ability to aid with. This super fruit, combined with other seasonal produce like beets, celery, and endive, makes this salad a celebration of Fall flavors.
- 2 thinly sliced apples
- 4 thinly sliced celery stalks
- 1 minced shallot
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 beet
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbs. chopped walnuts
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 3 oz. unpacked endive
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss sliced apples, sliced celery stalks (with leaves), and minced shallot in a bowl with the juice of a lemon.
- Peel beet, then slice into matchsticks and add to the bowl.
- Toss in sugar, chopped walnuts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of sliced endive.
Nutritional Source: Calorie Count
Read the original recipe on Food Network.
- Salads, Fruit