Tomato, basil, and mozzarella might as well exchange vows and say "I do," since they are a marriage made in summertime heaven. And while you can enjoy this fresh and flavorful combo traditionally in a salad, why not take this threesome to your next BBQ?
The base of this veggie burger is made with cannellini beans, mushrooms, and rolled oats, but it's flavored with fresh basil leaves and tomatoes straight from the vine. For 378 calories, this veggie burger offers nine grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein. And because it's low in calories, you'll have plenty of room for all the other BBQ faves you crave. The patties can be cooked up in less than 30 minutes and enjoyed right away or stored in the fridge or freezer for later.
This burger is dairy-free, but if you're eating cheese, you can add a slice of mozzarella on top.
- For the patty:
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the burger:
- 6 whole-wheat buns
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 6 large basil leaves
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Add beans, mushrooms, oats, garlic, 1 cup basil leaves (save the 6 basil leaves for the topping), egg, and salt to a food processor, and puree until smooth. The consistency will be like very thick hummus.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes.
- Place a pan on medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Use a large spoon to scoop the mixture onto the hot pan, using the back of the spoon to form it into a flat and round patty shape. Repeat 2 more times to make 3 patties.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the bottom is slightly brown, then flip and cook another 5 minutes.
- Make 3 more patties using the remaining oil and bean and mushroom mixture.
- Serve burgers on a whole-wheat bun with a a few fresh basil leaves and a couple slices of tomato. Finish by adding the mozzarella cheese on top.
Here's nutritional info with the mozzarella:
Source: Calorie Count
And without the mozarrella:
- Main Dishes, BBQ
- 6 servings
- Cook Time
- 30 min
- Calories per serving